Data engineers , security engineers, AWS certification preparation, cloud engineers, devops engineers, Solutions Architects
- Demand for AWS skills: AWS is one of the most popular cloud computing platforms, and there is high demand for professionals with AWS skills. Learning about AWS storage services can help you to become proficient in using AWS, which can improve your job prospects and earning potential.
- Variety of storage options: AWS offers a range of storage options to suit different needs and use cases. By learning about these options, you can better understand which storage solution is the best fit for your needs.
- Cost savings: AWS storage services are designed to be scalable and cost-effective. By learning how to use these services, you can potentially save money on storage costs while still getting the performance and reliability you need.
- Improved data management: AWS storage services can help you to better manage your data and ensure it is secure, available, and easy to access. This can be especially important for organizations that generate and handle large amounts of data.
In summary, learning about AWS storage services can help you to become more proficient in using AWS, understand the various storage options available, potentially save on storage costs, and improve your data management.
- Amazon S3
- Amazon Glacier
- Amazon EBS
- Amazon Instance Storage
- Amazon EFS
- Amazon CloudFront
- AWS Storage Gateway
- AWS Snowball
Free HandsOn AWS Storage Lab – Link
A block storage which offer high scalability, data availability, security, and performance. Can use for data lakes, cloud-native applications, and mobile apps.
- Object based storage
- Unlimited Storage
- 99.999999999% durability
- Max file size for one file is 5 Terrabyte
- Flat file structure
- Regional Based Service
- Data replicated for availability
- You can encrypt the objects
- Restrict bucket to just your VPC
- Storage classes – S3 Standard, S3 Intelligent-Tiering, S3 Standard-IA, S3 One Zone-IA, S3 Glacier Instant Retrieval, S3 Glacier Flexible Retrieval, S3 Glacier Deep Archive, S3 Outposts
|Amazon EC2 instance store||Link|
- Ephemeral storage
- Donot store critical data
- if instance is start or stop you will loose data
- if rebooted the data will remain intact
- If EC2 failed the data will be lost. (Start/Stop, Terminate)
- No additional fees
- IOPS are blazing fast
- mainly used as cache or buffer
- Not all Ec2 Support Instance store volume
|How to Encrypt an EBS Volume||Link|
- Persistence and block level storage.
- Can be attached to Ec2 instance & in some regions we can multi attach the EBS Volume. More info on multi attach
- Independent of EC2 instance
- Logically attached to EC2 instance
- Supports Snapshotting
- can copy EBS snapshot from one region to other regions
- EBS data is replicated to same AZ for Availability.
- Types of EBS are SSD And HDD.
- Ability to encrypt during rest and transit (AES256). Here is an awesome blog about this by STUART SCOTT from Cloud Academy
- EFS , a file storage services
- Can attach to multiple EC2 using mount point
- Uses Hierarchy system.
- Build under Gluster filesystem
- Fully managed shared file system with low latency access
- PB of Storage available
- Uses NFS 4.1 and 4.0
- replicated across multiple AZ for high availability
- Highly scalable, regional services, available on most of the regions For more info
- Content Delivery Network
- Delivered as cache data from edge locations
Use Distributions to deliver content
Via Web distribution
- Dynamic and Static
- HTTP and HTTPS
- Allow add, remove, update object
- Live stream functionality support
- Origins can be Ec2 or S3
Via RTMP Distribution
- Distribute streaming media using RMTP protocol(Adobe flash media)
- Origins can only from S3
Amazon CloudFront is a content delivery network (CDN) provided by Amazon Web Services (AWS). It is designed to deliver content, such as websites and applications, quickly and securely to users around the world. CloudFront uses a network of edge locations located in various parts of the world to deliver content to users with low latency. This means that users can access the content they need faster and with fewer interruptions. CloudFront also integrates with other AWS services, such as Amazon S3 and Amazon EC2, to provide a complete solution for delivering content over the internet.
- Best way to transfer data from NAS, SAN & DAS to AWS
- Secure and cost efficient
- File ,Volume and Tape Configurations available
- Consider Egress traffic charges while architecting
- File gateways used to access files stored as objects from s3 . can be mounted as NFS to Corporate Environment. Using casing will reduce further latency and the Egress traffic charges.
- Storage Volume gateway used for low latency access data from S3. Synchronously copied to S3.
- Volume can be 1GB to 16 TB and MAX 512 TB.
- Snapshots are stored inclemently in S3.
- Cached Volume gateways, data provided by s3. local volume used for buffering and local cache for recently access data.
- Volume can be 32TB, and storage capacity of 1024 TB
- Tape gateway , back to s3 from on-prem ,take advantage of AWS glacier
- Securely transfer PB of data in and out of AWS
- On perm to S3 or S3 to On perm
- High speed data transfer
- Data to Snowball is encrypted automatically
- can be tracked also use SNS for tracking
- HIPAA Compliant
- Data removed with NIST standard after the transfer
AWS Snowball process
AWS Snow FAMILY
AWS Snowcone is a small, rugged, and secure device offering edge computing, data storage, and data transfer on-the-go, in austere environment with little or no connectivity.
These devices are designed for offline data processing and storage, and are particularly useful for transferring large amounts of data to or from AWS when dealing with data that is too large or too costly to transfer over the Internet.
AWS Snowball is a physical device that can hold up to 50 TB of data, while AWS Snowball Edge is a device that combines the capabilities of AWS Snowball with additional compute and storage capabilities. AWS Snowmobile is a shipping container that can hold up to 100 PB of data, and is designed for transferring extremely large amounts of data to AWS.