DAY 9 – Strategies and Tools to Perform Large-Scale Migrations: Part II
Accelerate your AWS journey with AWS Tooling
- MRA Tool will help you to do the assessment.
- This questionnaire will help you to understand your goals , technical requirements, estimates and CAF(Cloud Adoption Perspective) of the Migration project.
Once you sign in goto Assessments and click Create Assessment
Enter Your information and Click Next then Click Create Assessment.
This section will give you reports, heatmap , radar and Scores based on the assessment.
You can also auto generate report as ppt or pdf.
This is performed right after the MRA , during MRP team up and create the foundations like Cloud Center of Excellence landing zone , Operation Model , Security & Compliance.
- Identify data required for the migration.
- Define Application patterns.
- Priorities migrations.
- Suggests incomplete data.
- This work stream helps to understand what qualifies for a Pilot Light Migration.
- This section also defines about RPO and RTO.
The data elements can be categorized into 4.
Application, Server, Network , Storage
- Extract important data to understand connection information , interdepend of Apps , servers , patterns etc..
- Performance metrics helps to understand to provision the right size on Cloud
- Tagging and Service naming helps to identify the group during the migration.
- Prioritize according to Business criticality, Environment Priority(Dev, Test, Prod Environment) , Application Complexity(least complex app will be a good candidate to migrate first)
- Going Agent or Agentless , give you more insight into data.
- Dependency Discovery – Server Level , Application Level.
- Performance Discovery
- Visualization and reporting tools
- Cost Analysis Tools -On-premises Constraints
Evaluate and choose discovery tools based on the needs of Migration Planning, Customer requirements & Environment Constraints.
It is also important to understand the migration cost estimate, TCO Modeling (AWS Pricing Calculator), options to optimize.
Lavages the agile mythology , project control & Business communication Principal to drive the execution of each domain by sprints.
The Pilot application are identified and migrated during the MRP which helps to understand different types of AWS services & tools.
- Define and understand the security directives – Governance , Risk and Compliance Models
- Measures to protect and Mitigate treats
- if the customer is using a third party to handle their security and Compliance if so make sure you get prior approval.
- Prepare and document Security response playbook.
- Transparency & visibility on Compliance.
- Also don’t forget to understand the Shared responsibility Model.
- Runbooks for – monitoring, logging, provisioning , asset management & configuration Management. if you already have an runbook, update (for cloud based).
- Participate in SCRUM or Daily stand ups meetings and make sure everyone is on same page.
- Helps to manage multiple account
- Identity and access management
- Consolidated Billing
- Foundation to securely operate at scale
- Structure IT(Cloud Team), Security, business teams
- Enablement strategies
- Skill Training
- Migration Hub – link
One destination for cloud migration and modernization, giving you the tools you need to accelerate and simplify your journey with AWS.
- AWS application Discovery – link
Collects and presents configuration, usage, and behavior data from your servers to help you better understand your workloads.
- TSOLogic – link
Available through AWS partner Network or AWS Account Managers.
It discovers what’s on on-premises & how its used and how much it will cost.
Also Analysis Microsoft licensing optimizing strategies.
- AWS Migration Portfolio Assessment – link
Its available from AWS professional Services team and AWS partner Network Services team.
Detail portfolio assessment tool , which help to understand server sizing, pricing, TCO comparisons etc.
- Control tower –link
AWS Control Tower provides the easiest way to set up and govern a secure, multi-account AWS environment, called a landing zone .Get started quickly with built-in governance and best practices.
- AWS Well-Architected – link
AWS Well-Architected helps cloud architects build secure, high-performing, resilient, and efficient infrastructure for a variety of applications and workloads. Built around six pillars—operational excellence, security, reliability, performance efficiency, cost optimization, and sustainability.
- ** Migation pattern library** – link
helps to understand common migration patterns for different workloads.
- Cloud Endure – link
Simplifies, expedites, and automates migrations from physical, virtual, and cloud-based infrastructure to AWS. Best for lift and shift patterns
- AWS Database Migration Service – link
As the name , it helps you migrate databases to AWS quickly and securely.
- AWS Data-Sync – link
Automates and accelerates moving data between on premises and AWS storage services.
- AWS Server Migration Service – link
Simplifies and expedites your migration to the cloud.
An Agentless Service
Look forward to your feedback on comment box.